A lot of the time us Pagan, Witchy, etc. mineral lovers will get a stone and forget to do one crucial thing... cleanse the stone. We are just so excited that we want to automatically start working with it, creating crystal grids, creating things with it, etc. The thing is, we need to take to take the time to stop and cleanse. You honestly don't know who has held the stone before you, what day they may have been having, the energy the could have accidentally poured in the stone- good or bad. Heck, even if you think that no one has touched the stone before you, someone actually had. The person who mined it, the person who is selling it, etc. It goes through many hands before your own. (Unless you mined it yourself!)
Which brings us back to the importance of cleansing the stone of any previous unwanted energy. If you want your energy workings to go the way you want them to, the stones should start off with a fresh energy palette. So there are several simple ways you can cleanse your stones:
- Smoke Cleansing- by far the most popular, and often used with White Sage. Just do your best to make sure the Sage is responsibly harvested. However, you can always burn Frankincense and Myrrh resin (and other herbs/resins) to help purify your stones. Simply run your stone through the smoke stating your positive intentions.
- **Sea Salt Cleanse- Salt is at the core of purification, healing and blessings. It is one of the few substances that can enhance, transform, and neutralize substances. So there are 2 ways you can go about using it:
A. Sea Salt by itself- bury the stone point down into the salt (in a glass dish), allow any negative energy to flow out into the salt, which neutralizes it. (Let it sit for as long as you feel necessary.)
B. Sea Salt with Water- Mix about a tablespoon of salt into a small glass dish of water. Let the stone soak in the water for 24 hours. Rinse off and dry with a soft towel.
**Keep in mind not all stones react well to salt or water. Research your stone before you do so.
- Moonlit Cleanse/ Charge- moonlight helps cleanse a stone, so, simply let your stones sit in a windowsill or outside to soak it all up! Don't let them sit out past noon to limit sun exposure (and possible damage.)
- Earth Cleanse- like the Salt, the earth helps bring the stone back to it's original natural state. So place fresh dirt into a glass container and set your stone in the center (or you can bury it outside.) Let it sit for as long as necessary. Just make sure your dirt doesn't have many extra stones or water that could scratch or damage your stone.
- Running Water Cleanse- place the stone under running water (in a sink or a stream) and visualize all the negative energy going down the drain.
So those are just a few quick cleansing methods! All of these can be adapted for even stronger cleanses just by adding herbs into the procedure. Not to mention it always make you feel good too because half the time when you cleanse your items you end up purifying yourself!
I hope this helps some of you!! Bright Blessings!