Thursday, May 23, 2013

How to make Talismans and Amulets



About Talismans and Amulets

Before we begin, it is important to distinguish between the two! So what is an Amulet exactly? An Amulet is a “natural” object, that can be used (when consecrated) for many purposes- like protection, luck, health, etc. also to attract and repel things. While a Talisman, on the other hand, is a “man-made” object that also has a similar purpose to those previously stated.  Note that Amulets, a lot of the time are used to prevent/repel things while talismans are often used as transmitters/ projectors/ attractors of some sort.

How to make an Amulet:

Like mentioned before, an Amulet is made from a natural object, so we won't be making it per say. What we are doing is simply making it wear-able!

An excellent example of this is a Hag stone! (For those who don't know what a Hag stone is, it's basically a stone that has been naturally worn away with water to have a large hole (or holes). Like this:


Then, to be worn as an Amulet, you can do this with cords:


But in the creation process of making the Hag stone wearable (or which ever natural object you have), you need to cleanse it and consecrate it. So for this example, the Hag stone, known for it's protective qualities, it can be first cleansed is water with salt. Also it can be passed through the smoke of burning herbs (like lavender or etc.) or incense. After purified, as you are charging it with your energy, you can request that your deities bestow their protection onto it so that it's wearer will be protected as well.

Also, it's handy to know that you don't have to leave the “natural object” in it's original state. You can carve or paint onto it as well for increased magical potency!

Now to move on to Talismans...

How to Make a Talisman-
Like previously mentioned before, talismans are “man made” for the most part. You can include parts made from nature- like crystals, but it will still be considered a Talisman.

This is an example of a talisman necklace that I made! (The pendant came from the head artist of Green Girl Studios.)


Anywho, so here is what you need to do:
  1. Get the main special object- it can be a pendant like mine, or it can be something as simple as a ring. You can even make it from clay or metal (having a special sigil or symbol on it can play an extremely important role in the talismans function.) But ultimately a talisman can be made from any material.
  2. Determine what the talisman's purpose is. Will it be used for healing? To draw love? Protection? Also choosing the right “time” to do it is also helpful. (Like paying attention to the phases of the moon for increasing strength/effectiveness, etc)
  3. Place that object on a chain. You can put semi-precious stones on the strand like I did to further promote the intended desire of the Talisman. (Further, it's helpful if you are in a semi-meditative state when you do this.)
      a. Another note: if you place stones along the chain or certain objects, you can use it as a way to place more spells on it, and activate them whenever you need them.
  4. Charge the Talisman with your energy. (Feel your energy build inside of you then allow it to flow through you and into the talisman. You can also ask for your deities to bestow their blessing, protection etc. onto it as well.) When you feel it is “full” you can stop.
  5. If there is any residue energy left over in you, just ground yourself.

That's it my friends! That's how you make Amulets and Talismans! Pretty easy huh?

19 comments:

  1. What a great post, I love it. Will work on some of those ideas. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad that you like it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and love it! I was wondering if you would post instructions on how to braid a ritual cord with beads and such woven in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a holed stone that I found along lake Michigan. Your necklace is an inspiration and I will have to create one for myself.
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just found your site. it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. is it possible to make your own hag stone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, from clay, and they look pretty good.

      Delete
  7. i really want to make one of these but idk where to find the other stones to attach to the talisman. And i live in canada, more specifically markham ontario and idk if i can find a rock as mentioned to create amulet. I want to make one for this purpose and idk how to attach the stones or where to get it. if u have any idea please comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing that info...just love your work. I'm in Florida too...nice to meet you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much. A friend gave me some gemstone beads for healing and I started making talisman's for family and friends, but I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing ha. My gran was a healer and I learned late in life that I am and now my granddaughter is,so want to share the gift as many ways as I can - and maybe sell a few. Patricia Merewether (cuz I can't get into Goodle for some reason)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post! I make my own hag stones from natural clay and then decorate or leave them natural. They look really good and are lighter than some hag stones. I'm adding one to a set of nature based prayer beads I'm creating. Blessings Bee xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good post and have made one already!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Ive been trying to find out his to make one and I found your post with great instructions others had instructions that you couldn't understand or they just had pictures thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the info, im looking foward to have the materials and then be able to do the rituals, im starting and im trying to get as much info as I can in my BoS, I will do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. THIS. POST. IS. GREAT!!!!!!!!! thanks so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am crafting a talisman to protect someone from unwanted attention. To me this would be best done during a waning moon but would it be less powerful if I start putting it together in a waxing moon but wait until after the full moon to consecrate it? If it would be more powerful to wait, that's fine. I can wait. Thanks Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. will a necklace with sapphire and dimonds work as a talisman?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recently became interested in spells and banishing of curses etc only recently after discovering that i was cursed after suffering with a complaint for over a year. no matter what i bought at a pharmacy i could not rid myself of the malady. I have still not done so as it costs money that i do not have so i will try on my own to be rid of it. I know who did it as she was the only person i fell out with 3 years ago. She even inquired about my well being a few months ago thrice in a single conversation with me. (she has never ever asked about my well-being..Thanks to reading your article and a few others i feel i can try to heal myself of this negative energy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this site!

    ReplyDelete